Latest news for health care topics. Include medical news , health insurance , therapy and vaccine news

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Here's how much members of Congress pay for their health insurance stat : CNBC

As members of Congress debate whether to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, it seems fair to ask: How much do they pay for health care? As the myth busting website Snopes points out, "contrary to popular belief, Congressional members do not receive free health care." In short, Snopes reports that members of Congress and staff "pay approximately 28 percent of their annual healthcare premiums through pre-tax payroll deductions." Instead, they choose a gold-level Obamacare policy and receive federal subsidies that cover 72 percent of the cost of the premiums. The answer is that, while they don't pay nothing for coverage, they don't pay much.



Here's how much members of Congress pay for their health insurance
My broken hip taught me what Republicans don't understand about health insuranceRepublican rhetoric about health care doesn't reflect reality. The fact that I am young, physically active, financially privileged, and have health insurance at all makes me luckier than most people. If Republicans believe the government has no role in providing health care to its people, that's what they should argue. Without health insurance, my injury could have very literally bankrupted me and my family. I was 21 years old and living a healthy, active life when I needed my health insurance the most.

'Repeal and replace' would sharply raise health insurance costs for Americans over 50


My broken hip taught me what Republicans don't understand about health insurance
Under repeal and replace, insurers can set premiums for older workers up to five times the premiums for younger workers and age-based cash subsidies replace Obamacare's income-based subsidies. Older low-income workers hit hard by "Repeal & Replace" often have significant health impairments. Obamacare – the Affordable Care Act of 2010 – increased the coverage of these older adults by expanding Medicaid, restructuring the insurance market, and offering subsides. I am still interested in how any potential changes could affect older workers. The figure below shows CBO's estimate of the extent to which repeal and replace would raise the share uninsured among those 50-64 with low-incomes.


collected by :Lucy William

To follow all the new news about Health care

No comments:

Post a Comment